First of all, Nigeria is not the hardest place to live in the world, but you can’t live here without having a feeling about why things don’t go the way you assumed it would as compared to other developed African countries. Nigeria is gifted with great people. We have amazing tourist centres where you can catch a cruise or two with your loved ones. We have lands mostly free from natural disasters and great soil for agricultural business. Large pockets of Nigeria’s population still live in poverty and without adequate access to basic services. They could benefit from more inclusive development policies.
For decades, we have been struggling with challenges such as Unsatisfactory Electricity Supply as many areas mostly do not have a stable power supply to work with personal computers to ace their study and tasks daily. Another challenge is Unreliable Internet Access and Costly Data Subscription. Internet access provided by the various ISP in Nigeria is expensive and unreliable.
Despite these challenges, Nigerians are very energetic and creative when it comes to technological advancement in Africa. We have a pool of talents who are effectively contributing to the growth of the technological space.
Earlier this year, I was awarded the VMware VExpert Award, making me the first vExpert and the only one in Nigeria presently. It was a great honour for me and my team. It was indeed another chance to demonstrate my skills to individuals who felt deprived of resources to learn Virtualization and Cloud Computing. I had a great experience connecting and networking with experts from around the world. I learnt new things quickly because there were experts who were ready to share their best practices and experiences with the community. I got access to licensed tools for free. Within 5 months of benefiting from the program, I attended a series of a well-curated webinar organized by top organizations and partners of VMware. Also, I was able to improve my technological experience and interpersonal skills.
Why This Program is For You?
The VMware vExpert program is VMware’s global evangelism and advocacy program. The program is designed to put VMware’s marketing resources towards your advocacy efforts. This includes the promotion of your articles, exposure at our global events, co-op advertising, traffic analysis, and early access to beta programs and VMware’s roadmap. The awards are for individuals, not companies, and it lasts for one year. Employees of both customers and partners can receive the awards. In the application, VExpert considers various community activities from the previous year as well as the current year’s (only for 2nd half applications) activities in determining those who get awards.
What are the Criteria For Participation?
If you are interested in becoming a vExpert, the criteria are simple. We are looking for IT professionals who share their VMware knowledge and make a valuable contribution to their communities. The term ‘giving back’ is defined as going above and beyond your daily job. There are several ways to share your knowledge and engage with the community. Some of those activities are blogging, book authoring, writing magazine articles, CloudCred task writing, activity in Facebook groups, (VMTN and non-VMware) forum platforms, public speaking, VMUG leadership, and so on.
What Are the vExpert Program Benefits?
There are numerous advantages to being a vExpert:
- Get invited to our private #Slack channel
- Get a vExpert certificate signed by our CEO, Pat Gelsinger
- Attend private forums on communities.vmware.com
- Receive access to the vExpert logo on cards, website, etc. for one year
- Receive access to a private directory for networking, etc.
- Get exclusive gifts from various VMware partners
- Attend private webinars with VMware partners as well as NFRs
- Access private betas (subject to admission by beta teams)
- Use 365-day eval licenses for most products for home lab/cloud providers
- Access private pre-launch briefings via our blogger briefing pre-VMworld (subject to admission by product teams)
- Get a blogger early access program for vSphere and some other products
- Get featured in a public vExpert online directory
- Access vetted VMware & Virtualization content for your social channels
- Attend yearly vExpert parties at both VMworld US and VMworld Europe events
- Be Identification as a vExpert at both VMworld US and VMworld EU.
Are you ready to begin the journey of fulfilling your dream and impacting your community? Here is the link to get started. Applications are now open until June 25th, 2020! You only need to submit your basic information, tell us about your achievement and what makes you worthy of the award. Apply here
If you need any information about your application, don’t hesitate to tweet at @kenkarmah.
Best of luck!